Plum Flower Manual by Wu《吴氏梅花谱》
The Unparalleled Plum Flower Manual (《吴氏梅花谱》Wú shì méi huā pǔ) was written by Wu Meisheng (吴梅圣 Wú méi shèng) during the late Qing Dynasty. The book was published in 1929. His work was originally called The Secret Manual to playing as Black《象棋让先秘谱》 (xiàngqí ràng xiān mì pǔ). Because the moves given by Wu were brilliant, it was often compared to the original Plum Flower Manual by Wang.
The theme of the book was straightforward: the Screen Horse Defense as Black. There were five different Red openings that were given whereby Black would use the Screen Horse Defense to win.
The moves shown in the book demonstrated several brilliant combinations.
The original contents in the book were as follows:
- Board 1: Screen Horse Defense as Black defeats Central Cannon with Filed Chariot as Red 让先屏风马破当头直车局 局一
- Board 2: Screen Horse Defense as Black defeats Central Cannon with Ranked Chariot as Red 让先屏风马破当头横车局 局二
- Board 3: Screen Horse Defense as Black defeats Sandwiched Cannon (Palcorner Cannon) as Red 让先屏风马破士角炮夹马炮局 局三
- Board 4: Screen Horse Defense as Black defeats Sandwiched Cannon (Palcorner Cannon) as Red 让先屏风马破当头炮夹马局 局四
- Board 5: Screen Horse Defense as Black defeats Cross Palace Horse as Red 让先屏风马破士角马局 局五
The origianl moves and the variations have been given in the following boards. The Webmaster has no time to do the comments at the moment. Sorry for the inconvenience caused.
1. 吴氏梅花谱. 百度百科. [联机] [引用日期: 2021年Jan月22日.] https://baike.baidu.com/item/%E5%90%B4%E6%B0%8F%E6%A2%85%E8%8A%B1%E8%B0%B1.